These super easy owl pom pom ornaments will be a wonderful addition to your holiday decorations! With some scrap yarn and a little imagination you will whip up these cuties in no time flat!
When Jenna at A_Cute_Design asked if I would like a set of her brand new laser cut wooden ornaments I thought, yes please! I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted to do with them but I loved the rustic natural look. The idea for a woodland creature came to mind and the easy owl pom pom ornament was born.
Since I am a naturally impatient crafter I wanted something that could be whipped up in an afternoon. I did purchase some of the supplies but the bulk I already had on hand. This project is a great reason to use up that scrap yarn you’ve been holding onto! So heat up your glue guns and let’s get crafting!
Also check out the 9 Easy DIY Christmas Projects below from a few of my blogging buddies! These are beautiful and simple craft tutorials for the holiday season!
If you are interested in becoming a Certified Crochet Instructor through the Craft Yarn Council check out my post by clicking here.
- Wooden Laser Cut Ornaments from Another Cute Design (optional)
- Yarn (I used Paintbox Wool Mix Aran) or any acrylic or wool yarn you have on hand. I don’t recommend cotton yarn as it hasn’t worked well for me to make pom poms.
- Knitter’s Pride KP800413 Pom-Pom Nirvana Makers, Multicolor (this is the one I love, but use what you have)
- Christmas Twine Cotton String or any holiday ribbon/twine
- Kraft Paper Tags with String Craft Gift Tags Mini Size 7 cm x 2 cm
- Hot Glue Gun, with 30pcs Glue Sticks,
- Jingle Bells 1/4-Inch, 144/Pkg, Gold
- 100% Wool Craft Felt – 8″ X 12″ Sheet – Peach
- 150 Pcs 6-12mm Plastic Safety Eyes with Washers
This post contains affiliates links and at no cost to you I may earn a teeny tiny commission if you choose to purchase them. Please know that I only recommend products I use and love! Thank you for supporting Le Petit Saint Crochet!
Steps to Make Easy Owl Pom Pom Ornaments
The above video has the full easy owl pom pom ornaments tutorial from start to finish, but you will find the bullet point directions below!
- make a pom pom from scrap yarn (Don’t worry if you don’t know how to make a pom pom, check out my video above!)
- to achieve the different coloring for the eye area, wrap the middle 1/3 of your pom pom maker in a contrasting color
- cut out a small triangle of felt for the beak
- with sharp embroidery scissors, trim the yarn where you will hot glue the eyes in place. This keeps the eyes from being covered with yarn as well as giving the face a 3-D appearance
- hot glue the safety eyes in place and push down firmly to secure
- hot glue the triangle upside down and between the eyes for the beak
- using a yarn needle thread your twine
- to create the ornament hanger, catch the yarn thread you used to secure your Pom Pom with the twine and tie in place
- add bells, tags, ribbon, wooden laser cut ornaments for decoration
These will look so adorable hanging on your Christmas tree this year, but they would be just as cute as gift tags! But be warned…because of the fuzzy cuteness and the little jingle bells, all naughty kittens in the vicinity will naturally be drawn to them…and want to play with them…and eat them…and ruin them.
9 Easy DIY Christmas Projects
Check out all 9 Easy DIY Christmas Projects from my blogging buddies! Don’t these just put you in the holiday spirit???
Pine and Prospect: Winter Art DIY ||
Le Petit Saint Crochet: Pompom Ornaments || Twelve On Main: Leather Ornaments ||
House Homemade: DIY Tree Collar